Happy Recipe Wednesday!
Today we want to share our current breakfast favorite: Tuscan Tofu Scramble.
Let's get into it!
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 garlic clove
1 (16-ounce) package of tofu (sprouted if possible and this can be found in the refrigerated section of the produce area in most stores, including H-E-B, Wal-Mart, and Target)
1 cup of secret tomato sauce (we'll get to that in a minute)
3 dashes of tamari (gluten-free if possible and this is just a soy sauce alternative)
5 basil leaves, chopped (but we use a bit less for our taste)
2 teaspoons sea salt (Celtic if possible)
1 tablespoon of nutritional yeast
2 tablespoons of water (filtered if possible)
Fresh ground black pepper, to taste
Cherry tomatoes, slices, for garnish
1) In a cast-iron skillet or saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and lightly sauté. Crumble the tofu right into the pan and mix well.
2) Add the tomato sauce, tamari, and basil. Stir to incorporate. Simmer for 3 minutes
3) Sprinkle with sea salt and nutritional yeast; stir well. If the mixture gets too dry, add small amounts of water. Cover and simmer to heat through.
4) Garnish with fresh cherry tomatoes, basil, and pepper.
Secret Tomato Sauce
1 cup cherry tomatoes
3 dehydrated sundries tomatoes
2 brazil nuts
2 tablespoons pine nuts
1 tablespoon cacao nibs (we found these at whole foods with the dried snacks, but haven't checked anywhere else)
2 tablespoons olive oil
Sea salt (Celtic if possible) to taste
1) In a wok or cast-iron skillet using no oil, slightly blacken the cherry tomatoes on high heat. If the pan is hot, this should take no more than 5 minutes.
2) In a blender, add the cherry tomatoes and all other ingredients. Blend on high for a full minute. Adjust seasoning to taste.
This recipe can serve 2-4 people (but we eat it all between just the 2 of us).
Serve and enjoy!